The compact size of halogen ovens makes them a hot seller. There is no heavy exterior and operating them is a swift task.
Halogen ovens tend to get hot very fast. That’s why it can be tricky to use them at the start.
So, if you’re looking for an accurate cooking time chart for your infrared halogen oven, we are here to help you.
How Long Does It Take To Cook In A Halogen Oven?
Compared to regular electric or gas ovens, it cooks your food faster.
The most prolonged time is around 40 minutes.
In general, the average time depends on quantity and temperature. At high temperatures, the duration is cut down to half.
Halogen Oven Cooking Time
You can bake or broil anything you want in them. The only thing you must keep in mind is that they can reach 250 degrees celsius.
At such high heat settings, it can burn your dish within minutes. So, it is best to follow the below listed time and heat conversion.
|Food||Quantity||Temperature||Cooking Time (min)|
|Chicken||2 kg – 3 kg||1 70 °C- 180 °C||30 – 32|
|Fish||1.5 kg – 3.5 kg||150 °C- 160 °C||15 – 20|
|Red Meat||2 kg||180 °C – 200 °C||40|
|Bread||4 Regular Slice||80 °C – 85 °C||Max 10|
|Hot Dogs||Up to 10||100 °C||5 – 10|
|Shrimps||500g||90 °C – 110 °C||12 – 15|
|Green Leafs||1 kg – 2 kg||100 °C||5 – 7|
|Potatoes||Up to 7||130 °C – 140 °C||13 – 15|
|Sausage||500g||160 °C – 180 °C||8 – 10|
|Nuts||500g||120 °C||5 – 7|
|Chicken Wings||1 kg – 2 kg||160 °C – 180 °C||12 – 20|
|Pizza||9 inch||160 °C||15 – 20|
|Vegetables||One bucket||110 °C – 120 °C||4 – 7|
|Meat Balls||Up to 8||130 °C – 150 °C||20 – 25|
|Mince||2 kg||160 °C||15 – 20|
- It is best to keep the heat settings at a moderate level. At high temperatures, meat could get golden from the outside and remain undercooked on the inside.
- If you want to toss nuts in an infrared halogen oven, then toss them at low settings for a minimal time.
- Beef takes the most longer time to get cooked in it. It can take up to 40 minutes.
- To cut the cooking time, it is best to keep the size of the food small and marinate them hours before for delicacy.
- Poke small holes in potatoes while roasting them in halogen hobs. By doing so, you can enjoy perfectly roasted peel.
Do Halogen Ovens Use A Lot Of Electricity?
It is a common myth that halogen ovens and cookers use a lot of electricity. While they use 50% less energy compared to freestanding and conventional cooktops.
Halogen oven energy consumption is around 1300 watts. This is half as compared to the 50cm electric plates or ovens.
Even though they use more electricity compared to slow cooker energy consumption. But you only need to use them for minutes which is a major win.
Halogen Oven Temperature Limit
The temperature limit of halogen ovens is 250 °C. Most ovens do come with manuals where the heat limit is listed.
In a nutshell, all inferred halogen ranges by famous brands in the UK can cook over 200°C.
Halogen Oven Temperature Conversion
When it comes to the recipes, most of them have regular freestanding gas oven heat settings listed on them.
But, they take a lot of time to bake your food. While halogen ranges can bake your food in minimal time at high temperatures.
So, you need to convert the settings as per your dish and its components. For chicken, beef, fish, and shrimp set the heat at 15°C(60°F) less to the recipe.
For green leaves, vegetables, and other products, reduce the temperature to 20°C (60°F) less.
The rule of thumb is
100°C (212°F) in a convection oven = 85 °C (185 °F) in the halogen range
Halogen Oven Tips And Tricks
Infrared halogen ovens are small. There is a curse in blessing. You can carry them anywhere and use them swiftly.
But this also limits your cooking experience. So, before you start using it, follow our tested hacks to get the best use out of it.
- Make sure that your meals fit in properly.
- There must be free side space for air circulation.
- Low racks are more suitable for steaming and baking.
- High racks are perfect for broiling and toasting.
- Always clean oven racks after using them.
Keep in mind that such ranges can get very hot quickly. So, it is best to keep them away from children’s reach.
How To Cook In Halogen Ovens?
Cooking your favourite dish in halogen ovens is very simple and easy. Due to its glass bowl, you can keep an eye on your food all time.
- Open the lid of your oven.
- Put your food in it and place the lid back.
- Turn on the halogen element and set the cooking time.
- Once your food is ready, open the lid and take out your food from the glass bowl.
It is strongly recommended that you give your dish a little rest of five minutes before rushing to plate it out.
Wrapping It Up!
Contrary to popular belief, halogen range ovens are completely safe for use. Furthermore, they are energy friendly and cook better compared to microwaves and cooktops.
The compact size is suitable for small kitchens. But this also limits your cooking choices. As much quantity at once.
The cherry on top is these ovens don’t emit any smoke. So, there is no chance that it could damage your modern kitchen wall decor.
So, keep on cooking in less time without any mess with it!